Sunday, January 11, 2009

Magnificent mangoes

A batch of pink mangoes, fresh from a friend's yard.

Yes, the title sounds corny but I couldn't help it. It is mango season now and over the past few months I have been in awe of all the huge, flowering mango trees all around city and country.

Once I heard that mango trees have a special sort of energy that can even replenish and cure a dying person if you hug them a certain way. I don't know whether it is true or not, but they are certainly have a particular kind of presence I can't exactly put into words. For those of you who never saw one face to face, they are huge (up to 40 m high and about 10 m wide). I wish I could insert a photo here that would give an idea of their stature, but I still haven't been able to capture that in picture. When I look at them and stop to seriously think about how they are live beings just myself and probably have a certain level of awareness of my presence (as in The Secret Life of Plants) it just blows my mind.

I confess that mangoes were never amongst my most apreciated fruit, but when I was a child there was a mango tree that shaded my house and I loved to climb on the roof to play and pick my own mangoes to eat right there. Although mangoes are not native to Brazil, they are everywhere here in the northeastern region, and a decade or so ago people would laugh if they saw mangoes for sale - if you didn't have one in your own yard, a neighbor or friend surely would.

Mangoes are tropical trees originally from southern and southeastern Asia. According to the website Fresh Mangos.com, more mangoes are eaten fresh than any other fruit in the world. They are an excellent source of vitamins A and C, potassium, beta carotene, anti-oxidants, and fiber, besides being simply delicious!

This won't interest all raw foodists, but here in Brazil some people enjoy eating unripe mangoes with salt! I used to eat that as a child too, but I just can't imagine myself doing that today! It has an extremely acidic taste that brings a shiver to the spine.

A tastier recipe :) for those of you that are into nut mylk is simply to grab a few mangoes, peel them and squeeze the juice to be mixed with your favorite mylk. It is very tasty and is also great exercise for people who spend a lot of time on the computer. Another recipe that is ready in just a few minutes is the following:


Summer mango smoothie

(Yes, it is summer down here!!)

Blend:
- Flesh of one mango
- Juice from one tangerine
- One pear
- Cold water and/or ice

Enjoy!

3 comments:

Anne said...

Thank you for the comment on my blog.
Sorry for taking so long to get back to you.
Your Mangoes look delicious.
Nice blog you have.
Have a peachy day,
Love and peace XX♥,
from Anne

Gina said...

Oh my goodness what a terrific post. And I read that book! It was many years ago and I haven't run into anyone else who has read it in all that time. It was very interesting. Thank you for sharing your childhood fruit with us, very nice info and ideas, as always.

Nathalie Lussier said...

I love your writing style, and the mango pictures make me want mango now! Thanks. :P

I think you should submit one of your blog posts to the upcoming raw blog carnival. It's just a matter of sending in your blog url, and your blog will be included in a magazine-like collection of cool raw food blogs. :)

Find out more here:
http://www.rawfoodswitch.com/raw-food-carnival/

Keep on blogging, I need more raw blogs to read. :)

Nathalie